When do I need unoccupied insurance?

Unless you need it, unoccupied insurance is not something you may know a lot about. So what is it and when do you need it? We explain all you need to know.


What is unoccupied home insurance?

Unoccupied property insurance can be for a home or a commercial property. It protects you against the risks that you face when a property is vacant. This includes vandalism, fire and squatters.


When do I need unoccupied home insurance?

Unoccupied insurance covers you for a range of circumstances such as:

  • Your home is currently going through renovations
  • The property is going through probate
  • It is your second home and will not be used for a while
  • You are in the process of selling the property
  • You go on a prolonged trip


Why do I need the cover?

Most standard home insurance policies only cover you if a property is vacant for up to 30 days. If is vacant for longer for any reason, then some policies will not cover you if something were to happen. This is because the longer a property is left, the greater the risks are that it faces. As a result, you will need a specialist policy.

These policies can be available for short term periods, meaning it can cover you for 3 months or 6 months. However, annual policies are still available for those properties left for a longer period. These policies are also easy to renew. This is useful for if a property is being renovated and the policy needs to be extended if the project runs over.

How do I make my home safer when it is unoccupied?

There are a number of ways you can make your home or property safer when you are not there. One way is to get it checked upon every few weeks, by a neighbor or friend. Some insurers may even require this as part of a condition of the policy.

Another way to keep it safe is to install an alarm or security system. This will enable you to know if your home has been broken into. As well as this it will also help in deterring people away from your property if they can see it is protected.


If you have any further questions speak to our team today who can explain what’s covered and get you a quote while helping you find the best policy. Call them today on 0161 495 6000.

How Can We Help?