Thatched Property Insurance

Get A Quote

When you own a thatched property, you might find it difficult to find insurance. This might be through no fault of your own – nor the property’s history. Insurers tend to see thatched properties as representing a higher risk than other roofing types. Despite the many ways that you can make your thatched property safer, insurers are likely to believe that it is too high a risk for them to want to cover. Thatched property insurance is specially designed to counter these higher risks.

At Alternative Insurance Brokers, we have years of experience of finding insurance policies for people who have otherwise struggled. Our thatched property insurance policies cover your home against the threats they might face – whether this is fire, flood, theft or damage.

We can also help protect you against the threat of losing out financially as a result of something happening to your thatched property. Our thatched property insurance can cover properties that you let out. This can cover you for loss of rent – or could be simply property owners liability.

Our thatched property insurance can even cover you if you have an adverse claims history. These policies are based on a higher risk profile to begin with. As a result, having a history of claims does not often prevent finding insurance in the way it might often otherwise do.

There are a few things that we are not able to cover under thatched property insurance. We can’t cover you for deterioration, or damage that you caused yourself.

Cover Details


Flexible policy lengths

Property owners liability cover

Unoccupied property cover

What We Offer


Flexible Payments

Individual Service

Complicated Insurance History

Thatched Property Insurance FAQs

How do I need to care for the property?

There are certain things that our insurers require you to do. Essentially, these boil down to having the property regularly inspected (especially if it is empty), having the chimney swept (if you have one), and properly maintaining the thatch.

What kinds of thatch do you cover?

We can cover all of the main types of thatch roofing material. These include: water reed, wheat reed, long straw and fibre.

Does my chimney need to be lined?

If you have an open fire, of any type, then you do need to have a lined chimney for insurers to quote for you.

Get A Quote

Recent Articles

How Could Your Insurance Change in 2020?

Renewals When your insurance comes to the end of its annual period, you will have to either renew it for another year, or search for another policy with someone else. Often, consumers have found that they seem to be punished with higher costs for staying with the same...

What is the best job for car insurance?

What you do every day can affect what you pay for your car insurance. This doesn’t just mean how you drive from day to day – it means your day job too. Insurers might charge you different amounts for your insurance, based on what you do for a job. However, what is the...

Do Advanced Driving Courses Cut Insurance Premiums?

When you pass your driving test, it can be overwhelming. You have to drive on your own for the first time. You might need to drive on the motorway for the first time. To help you get over these new experiences, many driving instructors offer specialised ‘Advanced...

What Affects your Insurance Price?

When you drive a vehicle in the UK, you need to have insurance. This is a legal requirement, as it is designed to protect both you and a third party if you have an accident. Because it is a requirement, some people are suspicious of the costs involved in buying...

How should you defrost your windscreen without causing damage?

As the winter gets colder, the likelihood of having to de-ice your car increases. De-icing your car is a process most of us dread having to do. After all, it’s freezing cold, your hands hurt and it can take a long time. What can you do to speed up the process? How...

How Can We Help?

How Can We Help?