What is Unoccupied Property Insurance?

Unoccupied Property Insurance is a specialised home insurance policy that focuses on unoccupied buildings. Our policies cover properties that will be empty for 30 days or more. Empty properties have particular requirements, which are quite different from regular home insurance policies.

Do I Need Unoccupied Property Insurance?

There are a number of reasons why a property might be empty for a period of time. One of the most common of these is if you are renovating the property, and can’t live in it during the renovations. You might also not be able to move into a home that you have bought for a period of time. Unoccupied policies could also cover a home that you are waiting to sell.

How Do Policies Differ from Standard Home Insurance?

A regular home insurance policy is not usually sufficient for an unoccupied property. This is because there are a number of risks which unoccupied properties face, and regular properties do not. Empty homes face a much higher rate of vandalism and theft than occupied homes do. They are also at risk of damage from fire and water.

Features of Our Policies

Our policies can cover you for 3, 6, 9 or 12 months at a time.This gives you flexibility, in case your property remains unoccupied longer than you had expected. We can offer property owner’s liability cover up to the amount of £2 million. Our policies can be taken out instantly over the phone.


There are certain things that we need to know before we can offer an unoccupied property insurance policy. If you are carrying out works on your property, you need to let our insurers know as much as you can. This includes information such as the duration of the works, and that the contractors are suitably qualified. We also need to know that you have taken every sensible precaution for the property’s security.

When you need to insure an unoccupied property, get in touch with us. At Alternative Insurance Brokers, we make sure that your insurance matches your needs. We get to know exactly what you need your unoccupied property insurance to do. That allows us to get you cover that suits you – at a price that suits too.