Alternative are able to source insurance for properties which have suffered from flooding, in areas which have flooded or are in Flood Risk areas. Specialist advisers may be able to seek cover from our panel of non-standard insurance providers suitable to your needs. Please call us now and see what we can do for you.
To help us find the cover which fits your needs best we would need some of the following information about the flooding:
- When it occurred and whether or not this was a one off occurrence
- What was the exact cause
- What remedial actions were taken either by previous/ current owners or the authorities (information of which can be found through the Environment Agency)
- The cost of the damage (if known)
- The distance and, if relevant, the height above any watercourses in the locality of the property
If the property is a new purchase there may be some simple steps to help you gain this information:
- Solicitor searches may well uncover any history of flood damage
- The Environment Agency may be contacted to see whether the property is in a Flood Risk area and what defenses and management plans are in place for local river systems
- A Homebuyers Report may detail any previous history
- An Environmental Report, which can be gained at the same time as Structural Engineers Reports, can be commissioned for the property to state any flood risk or remedial actions required to mitigate the risk
Flexible policies for 3, 6, 9 and 12 months at a time
Property owners liability cover of up to £2 million
Cover availible for properties undergoing renovations
What We Offer
Instant cover available over the phone
Wide panel of specialist insurers available
Knowledgeable staff to get you the right cover
Flood Risk Home Insurance FAQs
What does Flood Risk Home Insurance cover?
Flood Risk Home Insurance covers you for the same factors that standard home insurance covers you for. This includes:
- Storm, Flood, Weight of snow
- Fire Lightening Earthquake or Explosion
- Escape of water, frost damage, or escape of oil
- Damage or theft
- Subsidence, heave or landslip
- + more
If there is any specific cover you want or need, speak to our advisers when going through a quote and they will make sure the policy suits your specific requirements.
How is Flood Risk Home Insurance different to standard Home Insurance?
When your home is at risk of flooding, insurers will see you as a higher risk. This is because if you have previously flooded from outside sources, such a extreme weather conditions, then it is highly likely to happen again. As a result the premiums may be higher than the average home insurance policy, or the insurer may increase the excess on the policy. Some standard insurers may also refuse you cover due to the risks.
How do I know if my home is in a flood risk area?
You can check all risks of flooding throughout the UK on the Governments website, including the history of flooding in your area: https://www.gov.uk/check-flood-risk
Does the insurer need to know of all previous flood claims?
The insurer will need to know about all of your previous flood claims, whether it’s flooding from external sources such as tidal waters and extreme weather, and internal sources such as burst pipes. They will also need to know of any claims that are non-flood related, such as burglary or damage.
How do I minimise the risks to a flood risk home?
Although there is no way to control flooding itself, there are ways to help you prepare and minimise the damage it can do.
1) You can register for flood alerts through the Government website: https://www.gov.uk/sign-up-for-flood-warnings
2) Keeping valuables upstairs when a flood warning has been issued
3) Adding waterproof coatings to walls and sideboards, and refrain from having carpets downstairs
These are just a few suggestions, to find out more visit the Government’s guide here.