Thatched Property Insurance

Get A Quote

When you own a thatched property, you might find it difficult to find insurance. This might be through no fault of your own – nor the property’s history. Insurers tend to see thatched properties as representing a higher risk than other roofing types. Despite the many ways that you can make your thatched property safer, insurers are likely to believe that it is too high a risk for them to want to cover. Thatched property insurance is specially designed to counter these higher risks.

At Alternative Insurance Brokers, we have years of experience of finding insurance policies for people who have otherwise struggled. Our thatched property insurance policies cover your home against the threats they might face – whether this is fire, flood, theft or damage.

We can also help protect you against the threat of losing out financially as a result of something happening to your thatched property. Our thatched property insurance can cover properties that you let out. This can cover you for loss of rent – or could be simply property owners liability.

Our thatched property insurance can even cover you if you have an adverse claims history. These policies are based on a higher risk profile to begin with. As a result, having a history of claims does not often prevent finding insurance in the way it might often otherwise do.

There are a few things that we are not able to cover under thatched property insurance. We can’t cover you for deterioration, or damage that you caused yourself.

Cover Details


Flexible policy lengths

Property owners liability cover

Unoccupied property cover

What We Offer


Flexible Payments

Individual Service

Complicated Insurance History

Thatched Property Insurance FAQs

How do I need to care for the property?

There are certain things that our insurers require you to do. Essentially, these boil down to having the property regularly inspected (especially if it is empty), having the chimney swept (if you have one), and properly maintaining the thatch.

What kinds of thatch do you cover?

We can cover all of the main types of thatch roofing material. These include: water reed, wheat reed, long straw and fibre.

Does my chimney need to be lined?

If you have an open fire, of any type, then you do need to have a lined chimney for insurers to quote for you.

Get A Quote

Recent Articles

Is fleet insurance for you?

Hesitant about adding a new addition to your garage because of the premium and administrative process of yet another motor insurance? Consider getting fleet insurance to keep multiple vehicles insured at the same time.    What is fleet insurance? Instead of...

How to provide protection to your unoccupied home as a landlord

Insurance provides financial protection in case of unexpected events, such as theft, fire or natural disasters. If you own an unoccupied apartment, insurance can help safeguard your investment and give you peace of mind. Unoccupied apartments can be particularly...

4 things to double-check when you buy your travel insurance

As the holiday season approaches, some of you might have already booked and geared up for a holiday trip. However, besides plane and tickets, travel insurance is something you do not want to stint on to ensure a safe, delightful journey. Besides making sure you got...

Modified Car Insurance: A Guide

Modified Car Insurance 101   Many car owners turn to car modifications when it comes to enhancing vehicles' performances and aesthetics. Whilst driving around with upgraded cars is an exceptional experience, some might be concerned that modified car insurances are way...

The FCA probes into the issue of high insurance premiums for tenants

As the rate of inflation rises rapidly, the majority of the British population are taking a severe hit on their spending capacity. Consumer prices have risen to 9.4% since 2021, the highest recorded rate ever since February 1982. The Financial Conduct Authority have...